Tuesday 8 November 2011

AD208 Dress Making

After just 2 days of having started making my final dress
I have managed to amaze myself at how quick it seems to be coming on, with
only a few things left to sew together!
I began the sewing process by heat pressing interlining
on the corset panels, sewing them together and adding boning which proved
to be quite difficult, as it was tricky to get them in the right place and make them stay there.
Next, I sewed and overlocked the skirt panels and gathered side parts, adding a top stitch
the hold the lining and cotton together securely whilst gathering. I had some
difficult when sewing the neck panels as it kept twisting when trying to turn it out,
so even as frustrating as it is, I unpicked, unravelled and re-sewed again.
I managed to sew the darts in the lace top which was a challenge in itself
as lace is not clear to see tailors chalk at all, and after much practice on scrap material,
I sewed the panels together on an industry machine which sews and overlocks
the panels at the same time.
When gathering the side panels, I had to use a normal sewing machine,
pushing gathers through with a pair of scissors as the gathering machine decided not to work.
To make sure they were the right length, I pinned on the skirt where the ends should go
and made sure the panels met at the pins.
After a lucky lunch break, I realised I hadn't sewn the neck panels onto the corset
as I was just about to sew the lining onto the cotton, so I pinned and sewed,
placed the corset top on the stand, and am very pleased with the outcome!

Adding boning to the corset lining

Joined skirt panels

Gathering, hanging side panels

Darted lace top

Corset top with neckpiece

Sewing lining onto corset

No comments:

Post a Comment